Are you curious about creating a successful company culture? Start with employee engagement. Why? The more your employees are engaged, the more committed they are to their work and the more they care about the success of your company. Companies should always strive to keep employee engagement high, but sometimes efforts fall short. In the spirit of Halloween, here are 13 scary statistics that prove we can all be doing a better job at improving employee engagement.
13 Scary Statistics About Employee Engagement
- 51% of employees are not engaged — they’re just there. - Gallup
- 69% of employees would work harder if they felt their efforts were better appreciated. - Socialcast
- Only 29% of employees feel valued and appreciated at their jobs. - Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Employees who do not feel adequately recognized are 2x as likely to say they'll quit in the next year. - Gallup
- 75% of the causes of employee turnover are preventable. - HR Drive
- 68% of Industry Leaders find that they suffer from low employee engagement. - Aberdeen
- Actively disengaged employees are estimated to cost the U.S. $483 billion to $605 billion each year in lost productivity. - Gallup
- Only 23% of companies believe their employees are fully aligned with the corporate purpose. - Deloitte
- When managers provide meaningful feedback to employees, those employees are 3.5x more likely to be engaged. - Gallup
- Companies without a formal engagement program see 75% less year-over-year improvement in engagement than companies who do. - Aberdeen
- 39% of higher education institutions surveyed do not offer any form of employee engagement opportunities. - Ellucian
- Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York, each have the lowest percentage of engaged workers at 29%. - Gallup
- Only 3 in 10 U.S. employees strongly agree that in the last 7 days they have received recognition or praise for doing good work. - Gallup
If you're just as spooked by these numbers as we are, consider implementing an employee engagement program at your company!